Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Day 6: Childhood Memory

This one was fun, I have been planning it since last night, then a few more elements came in.. genius!
Tea, food, and books, yea!
So, as anyone who knows me can attest to, I LOVE to read.  Love as in slightly obsessive it is a bit of a problem love.  Growing up "Castle in the Attic was one of my favorite books (I think it may have been one my older brother loved also).  The tea cup of course is representatve of tea parties with Nan and the cousins growing up.  Initially that was going to be it for this picture.  Then in my cookbook stack I saw my copy of the "Super Market Cookbook" (Silver Jubilee addition).  Complete with a dedication:
"Respectfully and affectionately dedicated to MAMIE DOWD EISENHOWER the housewife of America's No. 1 household"
I found this particular copy on Ebay for around $5.  My initial run-in with this book came every holiday season growing up in Nan's kitchen.  It contains (notably for me) recipes for the perfect pie crust, and coconut custard.  Also suggested luncheon and dinner menus by season such as this peach for a Wednesday in the fall (for those ladies on a limited budget):
Luncheon:
corn and potato chowder
shredded pineapple
tea
Dinner:
veal stew with vegetables
lettuce salad
lime jello    coffee

Priceless eh?  Also included in this picture (a fluke at first) my Kitchen Aid mixer which is both a beast in the kitchen and a great childhood memory!



No comments:

Post a Comment